In 2020, WM adopted a targeted approach to the UN SDGs, identifying goals and specific targets where we could have the greatest impact. Our 2025 and 2038 goals align with eight of the SDGs, and over the past year we have made a positive contribution to the SDGs in a number of ways:
Click an SDG to view our progress, aligned goals and target.
Learn more about our progress toward specific SDG targets in our ESG Resource Hub.
- Honored employees for safe and effective work through the WM Driver, Operator and Technician of the Year Program.
- Used video event recorders to alert drivers to unsafe behavior.
- Kept our people safe throughout the pandemic.
- Continued to use landfill gas to create renewable electricity and renewable fuel, some of which is used in WM’s fleet.
- Supported three ultra-low-carbon-intensity dairy projects, where methane gas is captured from dairy operations to fuel our fleet.
- Piloting zero emissions electric truck at multiple sites to facilitate commercialization of this technology.
- Hosted 100 MW of wind power and 53.9 MW of solar capacity at our closed landfills.
- Launched WM Now, an employee mobile app through which people can access employee benefits, safety updates, company news and more.
- Provided employment opportunities to overlooked and underserved community populations.
- Committed to paying all employees a living wage and guaranteed pay for 40 hours of work for all full-time hourly employees, regardless of COVID-19-related service decreases.
- Invested in new recycling infrastructure.
- Continued to convert our fleet to run on CNG and increased our investments in dairy biogas.
- Used technologies like Smart TruckSM to decrease recycling contamination, allowing us to recycle more effectively.
- Our unprecedented investment in infrastructure supports economic development in a changing market and protects employees with increased safety measures such as fire suppression.
- Made strides to hire female employees and team members from diverse backgrounds, with an emphasis on hiring them into leadership roles.
- Pledged to provide a living wage to all employees which we have achieved ahead of our 2025 commitment.
- “Power of One” initiative is designed to enable all employees to commit to doing one thing to be part of the solution and improve IE&D at WM.
- Worked with CPG companies to encourage design for recycling and recycled content.
- Invested over $100 million per year in our recycling infrastructure, resulting in the construction of five new MRFs and upgraded equipment at 26 facilities, boosting efficiency.
- We have 171 natural gas fueling stations with 25 public stations that improve access of sustainable fuel for public transportation.
- Recognized the risks climate change poses to our business, as severe weather has the potential to disrupt service and damage our facilities and fleet.
- Partnered with a half-dozen organizations, including NASA, to measure and better manage fugitive emissions released from landfills.
- Prepared for natural disasters so we can better respond and support our customers when they occur.