Waste is an inevitable byproduct of everyday life. And while waste can be a problem if it’s handled improperly, end-of-life materials can also be a source of new value.
As the leading environmental service and solutions company in North America, WM’s role is to help customers dispose of the waste they generate in the most environmentally responsible and valuable ways possible. We serve residential customers, small businesses, large corporations, manufacturing companies, universities and large public venues by collecting, transporting and finding new uses for the waste they generate. In addition, we offer consulting services that help customers waste less and operate more sustainably.
WM Services and Solutions
- Collecting trash, recycling and organic waste from homes and businesses.
- Operating materials recovery facilities (MRFs) where materials like paper, metal, glass and some plastics are sorted to be transformed into new goods.
- Operating organics processing facilities where food and yard waste are converted into compost and energy.
- Operating landfills where, in many cases, the gas generated by decomposing waste is processed into renewable energy.
- Safely handling specialized waste streams, like fly ash, electronics and industrial and medical waste.
- Evaluating reduction and recycling service options and managing customers’ programs on site through WM Sustainability Services.
- Helping sports stadiums and other large event venues divert waste and operate more sustainably.
- Developing new programs and solutions for textile recycling.
- Educating customers on ways to reduce waste and recycle right.
- Developing and promoting new markets for recycled materials.
- Offering temporary dumpster rental and business waste compaction services.
To help us push the envelope, our supply chain team has internal sustainability goals to create innovative partnerships with vendors and tracks the associated spend in our ESG Data Center. Our customers’ expectations for efficiency and convenience are changing, so WM is investing in technology to meet their needs. This list will continue to evolve and grow as we increase the solutions available to our customers.
Technology to Streamline Customer Solutions
We have committed to end-to-end customer service digitalization (CSD), which is making us a more agile business and transforming the way customers interact with WM. Customers have told us that they want transparency and ease of use in their interactions, which is why we created a new digital platform that allows them to connect with us through their channel of choice. Now, they can easily sign up for services, set preferences, manage payments and get status updates in real time.
CSD is creating increased customer loyalty as well as benefitting WM. Route optimization helps drivers complete their services more efficiently, and increased automation of everyday tasks allows dispatchers to focus on handling exceptions. These improvements create a more consistent and reliable service experience for our customers.
The pandemic has also proven the value of our investments in CSD. During a time when businesses experienced unprecedented disruptions, waste volumes shifted from commercial toward residential settings, and many customers transitioned rapidly to remote work, the ability to connect with WM anytime, anywhere was essential. This period of disruption created an opportunity for us to change business processes for the better, and WM will continue to seek new ways to work more efficiently to better serve our customers. Details on WM Customer Service and Satisfaction can be found in our ESG Resource Hub.